By: IWCS
Sep 06 2012

First established in 1153 at Neusass by Wolfram von Bebenburg, Schöntal was formerly a Cistercian monastery. It is located in the nature sublime at Jagsttal near a valley. This is why it is called Schöntal , meaning “beautiful valley” in German. The monastery is mainly constructed with wooden material from the local area. Adjacent to the solemn, grand wooden monastery is an educational and assembly center for the Diocese youngsters of Rottenburg-Stuttgart. In the building there are grand wooden sculptures of saints and magnificently-designed and painted wooden stairs that were made of oak and pine. They are well-maintained as the building is constantly in use.



IWCS

International Wood Culture Society (IWCS) is a non-profit, non-governmental international network of wood enthusiasts, dedicated to the research, education and promotion of wood culture.


comments
There are no comments
leave a comment